The Untamed Wilds
In general, common-folk tend to be indifferent to their rulers. Common-folk are generally content as long as they feel safe from soldiers, brigands, monsters, and other dangers. If the common-folk are threatened, or if the taxes required to provide for their safety seem unreasonably high, they are likely to become disgruntled. A passionate and fiery orator or a noble hero may win the people’s hearts, and inspire them to face great dangers in the face of a greater good. The attitude of the common-folk towards a regent can have a major impact on the success of their domain actions. At the beginning of each domain turn, the attitude of the common-man towards the regent’s domain must be adjusted based on the events of the previous domain turn. The domain attitude is considered a domain wide measurement of regent’s subjects.
Domain attitude is adjusted EACH SEASON by making a Domain attitude check modified by the bonuses and penalties such as those listed below. Depending on the previous attitude and actions done over the prior season apply the modifiers as seen listed below.
see also income effects of domain attitude
Initial domain attitude = indifferent (6)
Levels of attitude with corresponding attitude rank:
|7||Not so indifferent|
Ranks of attitude:
Hostile (level 1-2)
- The populace hates the regent, and actively oppose the regent. All domain actions in boroughs or natural province with regent owned holdings suffer a -4 penalty. GB income is 50% of the maximum.
Unfriendly (level 3-4)
- The populace has a general dislike of the regent and thwarts any but the strongest of ruling attempts. All domain actions in boroughs or natural province with regent owned holdings suffer a -2 penalty. GB Income is 80% of the maximum.
Indifferent (level 5-7)
- The populace does not like nor dislike the regent and generally do not care about the actions of the regent when it does not directly concern them. No modifiers. GB income is 100% of the maximum.
Friendly (level 8-9)
- The populace has a general liking of the regent and aid in small gestures and easy tasks without going of their way. +1 bonus to domain actions in boroughs or natural province with holdings. GB Income is 110% of the maximum
Helpful (level 10)
- The populace worships the regent and actively seek to aid the regent in the affairs of state. A +1 bonus to domain actions in boroughs or natural province with holdings. GB Income is 120% of the maximum
Domain attitude check
check: 1d20 + half regent level + modifiers (see below)
DC: 5 + THR (Total holding rating)/30 (round up)
Modifiers to Attitude check roll:
note: if more than 1 penalty or bonus seems to apply listed in a table, use only the highest.
- Apply previous attitude bonus-penalty (table A1)
- Apply bonuses (table A2)
- Apply penalties (table A3)
|Regent successfully deals with a major event in the previous season, such as an invading army||+5|
|Regent successfully deals with a minor event in the previous season, such as a matter of law or a rampaging monster.||+2|
|The regent is a borough ruler||+1|
|The regent is a province ruler||+2|
|Regent is trained in Statecraft||+1|
|Renowned/epic deed EVER performed in the service of the domain by actively played allied PC||+1 for each deed|
|Your domain’s military forces occupy a borough (martial law)||-5|
|Regent engages in a foreign war (without justification)||-5|
|Regent does not successfully deal with a major event||-5|
|Regent does not successfully deal with a minor event||-2|
|Regent engages in a foreign war (with sound justification)||-2|
|Finance is used for any purpose other than domain actions or for the defense of the realm.||-1 per use|
|DC result||Attitude change|
|less than DC -5||minus 2 steps|
|DC -5 to DC -3||minus 1 step|
|DC -2 to DC +2||no change|
|DC +3 to DC +5||plus 1 step|
|more than DC +5||plus 2 steps|
example: a domain with a friendly attitude (8) and a modified DC of 12 and +2 on the attitude check rolls a modified roll of 5. This is 12 – 5 is 7 lower than the DC needed. Consulting the table her domain attitude shifts 2 steps from friendly (8) to indifferent (6).